Marriott Vacations Worldwide Front Office Trainee in Estepona, Spain
FO Department: Front Desk Clerk Job Description for Students
As a student of the Front Office department, you assist in ensuring total guest satisfaction and providing excellent level of service at all time.
As a student, you are expected to have an attitude and commitment in order to provide excellent service to all customers and associates. Respond sensitively to the needs and feelings of others, regardless of status or position; accept interpersonal differences and maintain a constructive relationship with all associates and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Safety and Security
Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
Policies and Procedures
Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific processes to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines.
Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
Exchange information with other employees using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).
Working with Others
Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
Process all guest check-ins by confirming reservations in computer system (e.g. OPERA), verifying guest identity, requesting form of payment, assigning room, and issuing room key in accordance with property policies and procedures.
- Secure valid form of payment (e.g., credit card, cash) prior to issuing room key.
- Activate room keys using electronic key and reissue new room keys to guests as necessary (e.g., lost key) by verifying guest identity and using electronic key machine.
- Assign room according to guest request and preferences whenever possible.
- Verify and adjust billing for guests.
- Process all check-outs including express check-outs, resolving any late and disputed charges, settling account, retrieving room key, and requesting comments on guest's stay.
- Advise guest of any messages (e.g., voicemail, mail, faxes) received for them, and send to room if required.
- File guest paperwork or documentation.
- Ensure rates match market codes and that any exceptions are documented and include an explanation.
Communicate to appropriate staff that there are guests that are waiting for an available room.
Instruct guests on how to access the internet (e.g., dial-up, broadband, wireless).
Run credit card authorization report and check for discrepancies.
Print contingency lists to have a record of all guests in case of emergency.
Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities.
Contact appropriate individual or department (e.g., Bellperson, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Engineering, Security/Loss Prevention) as necessary to resolve guest call, request, or problem.
- Receive, record, and relay messages accurately, completely, and legibly.
- Answer, record, and process all guest calls, requests, questions, or concerns.
- Follow up with guests to ensure their requests or problems have been met to their satisfaction.
Accept and record wake-up call requests and deliver to appropriate department.
Process all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or credit.
- Process adjustment vouchers, paid-outs, correction vouchers, and miscellaneous charges.
- Count bank at end of shift and secure bank.
- Balance and drop receipts according to Accounting specifications.
- Provide change to guests.
- Obtain manual authorizations and follow all Accounting procedures when computer system is down.
- Cash guests' personal checks and traveler's checks.
Count bank at the beginning of shift to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
Print credit check report, review status of each account, and follow up on accounts beyond approved credit limits.
Notify Security of any guest reports of theft.
- Student currently studying at an university necessary for the 'collaboration contract' (Spanish laws)
- Students need valid work papers to legally have permission to work in Spain
- Student must speak fluent English
- Student needs to have skills such as being open-minded, flexible, outgoing and energetic.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled