Shire 1Director Value Demonstration & Access in Madrid, Spain
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Value Demonstration & Market Access to take an immediate assignment in our Madrid offices.
Candidates for this role will have extensive previous experience in a similar function focusing on "innovative Market Access".
Main Purpose of this role:
• The Value Demonstration & Market Access Director is responsible for being the principle point of contact for strategic advice, tactical expertise, support and most importantly implementation of all aspects of pricing, reimbursement, market access and patient access for the country/cluster.
• The person in role must be able to access and engage, directly and through the team under his leadership, with NHS authorities, members of the Pricing Commission and experts around it such as thought leaders in HTA and Health Economics, scientific experts etc, Health authorities at the Autonomous Regions level and national, regional or local payers to gain and ensure patients access to Shire products. This is clearly dependent upon building and maintaining credible long term relationships for Shire with National & selected Sub-national HTA bodies.
• The role requires extensive communication and alignment with Shire’s International VD&MA (both in Global Product Strategy and at the Regional level), Franchise Heads and other local functions such as Public Affairs, Regulatory Affairs etc. It reports to the country/cluster General Manager (GM) with operational guidance from the Global Product Strategy (GPS) and Regional VD&MA functions. Externally, the role requires identification and maintenance of a network of external providers with subject matter expertise and with the ability to deliver local materials.
• To ensure local market access needs are delivered by the Global Value Dossier (GVD), the person is responsible for communicating these needs to the global and regional VD&MA and the Franchise teams.
• The role ultimately ensures that Shire and the country/cluster is able to optimize and maintain long-term patient access to its products, and that prices and reimbursement if so are achieved and sustained in line with the company’s commercial objectives.
• The role provides strategic & operational direction and leadership to the Regional Market Access (RAM) managers teams.
Pricing and Reimbursement
-The role will have product support and technical oversight responsibilities leading cross functional teams for preparation, facilitation & timely submission of National (Local) Reimbursement Dossiers.
-The role will help develop national & international market access expertise by mentoring and teaching LOC staff and by influencing International & Global personnel
-Co-ordinating his team of P&R Managers, develops National and or ad hoc VD&MA Price and Reimbursement applications and value dossiers that are synergistic with Global VD&MA, International Commercial and GPS strategies.
Identifies and generates country specific requirements for evidence generation based on robust understanding of national payers & their decision making systems to optimally capture the value of present & future International Commercial products.
Manage project budget and timelines.
Identify, recruit and maintain a small panel of external National experts in P&R or Health Technology Appraisal who can be called upon as contributors. Conduct interviews and organize Payer Advisory Boards with this national panel and other Payers.
Market Access and RAMs team leadership
-The role is responsible for leading the Regional Market Access Managers (RAM) team providing NHS authorities and managers relations at the country, the Autonomous Regions and the main accounts level to constantly upgrade Shire´s reputation as a credible partner, ensure access to Shire products, remove potential barriers and develop value adding relationships with payers and other stakeholders. He / she will work with the GM, the business Franchise Heads and other functions such as Public Affairs, Patients Support and Communications, as well as Shire’s external partners to devise and implement proactive Shire involvement with payers and government influencers, shape the market environment and secure access and funding to Shire products. The role will ensure effective targeting and alignment of messages, build appropriate partnership relationships and drive a co-ordinated approach with the different franchises needs so that Shire is positioned as a partner and the value appreciation of Shire products is maximized.
-The role and team it manages will create and maintain National, Regional and account based market access plans that are synergistic with the business requirements for evidence generation based on robust understanding of payers & their decision making systems to optimally capture the value of present & future Shire products. Manage project budget and timelines
-The role leads the RAMs team setting objectives, providing operational guidance, ensuring alignment and co-ordination with the franchises and other business functions, tracks performance and ensures achievement of the objectives set in the annual Budget and Market Access plan.
-As a leader, the role builds a collaborative culture, develops individual and organizational capabilities, addresses business needs and ensures compliance in all initiatives and activities under his responsibility.
Education and Experience:
Degree in Health Sciencies or Economics, and Master or postgraduate education in Health Economics are required
Minimum 5 years experience in Market Access in the pharmaceutical industry, with a comprehensive understanding of the pricing/reimbursement environment and the government/payer review process
Knowledge and experience preparing dossiers and regional formularies.
Excellent understanding & experience of market access needs in the LOC National & Sub-national (Regions / Provinces) market required with knowledge of international Market Access requirements in key EU countries desired.
Thorough understanding of commercial aspects of the business including brand management, sales planning and execution, patient advocacy, regulatory environments and pricing, hospital formulary listing and PMS for the brand
Experience operating in a multi-national company and in a matrix organization
Successful track record of hiring, developing and retaining talent / direct reports
Ability to leverage knowledge of marketplace, competitor landscape and economic forces and translate them into clear Market Access strategies.
Demonstrated success in the following key areas:
Formulating and implementing effective Market Access strategies
Effectively working with cross-functional Teams.
Developing proposals to recommend Pricing strategies
Identifys issues and generating innovative options and / or multiple solutions to resolve complex situations to maximize opportunities.
Co-ordinates strategies and projects for multiples products and disease areas within the Shire portfolio.
Champions the P&R plans for effective market access initiatives and evidential needs in support of Market Access and P&R across multiple BUs.
Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Ability to work well in both a team environment and independently.
Strategic level thinking
Ability to understand and present scientific and clinical data
Extensive understanding of public policy
Strong negotiating skills
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products, many of which are available in more than 100 countries, across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; and a growing franchise in Oncology.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.